SBDC Business Advisor
Effective: January 2022
Type: Part-time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Southwest Indiana SBDC Regional Director
- Do you have a desire to assist aspiring entrepreneurs and existing business owners to expand and/or strengthen their businesses?
- Do you enjoy coaching and mentoring others by leveraging your experience to help the next generation of business owners and entrepreneurs?
- Are you self-motivated and goal oriented?
- Does the idea of building a better community and Evansville Region excite you?
The Evansville Regional Economic Partnership (E-REP) is passionate about building a stronger Evansville Region. E-REP serves as the regional partner for the Southwest Indiana Small Business Development Center (SBDC). The Indiana Small Business Development Center Network is composed of 10 regional offices focused on positive and measurable impact on the formation, growth, and sustainability of small businesses in Indiana, and to help Hoosier Entrepreneurs start stronger, grow faster, and work smarter.
The SBDC Business Advisor provides one-on-one counseling to aspiring entrepreneurs and current business owners. Technical assistance includes business plan development, financial statements such as cash flow projections, market research, assistance with loan applications and navigating various programs (some of which can be found at https://isbdc.org/). This position works directly with various partners including members of the E-REP team, Elevate Ventures, the Indiana Economic Development Corporation (IEDC) and others.
A successful Business Advisor purposefully ties the SBDC mission with E-REP’s guiding principles to deliver value to entrepreneurs, small business owners, members, investors, and partners while maintaining a positive public rapport. The Business Advisor’s every day actions will exemplify the guiding principles of E-REP. The Business Advisor operates regionally, commits to equitable prosperity, keeps small business front and center, leverages the unique value of both the public and private sectors in delivering success, and advances regional prosperity and global relevance.
Scope of Work
The role and responsibilities of the SBDC Business Advisor will include but not be limited to the following:
- One-on-one small business client counseling:
- Business plan development
- Understand and assist with financial statements such as cash flow projections, income statements and balance sheets
- Advise on automated and manual record keeping systems
- Assist clients with marketing such as research, advertising, promotional functions, market surveys and other related areas
- Help with loan and program applications
- Advise business owners about the programs and partners which can best assist them in their development process.
- Facilitate and make referrals between business owners and professional services providers, consultants, and other outside specialists for additional support services.
- Engage with educational, technical assistance, and government partners in support of building an entrepreneurial community.
- Assist with developing and promoting public awareness of SBDC programs and services.
- Will work within the regional host institution, the Evansville Regional Economic Partnership (E-REP), a contractual center of the Indiana SBDC Network.
- Occasional travel throughout the geographic area served (Gibson, Knox, Perry, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh, and Warrick counties in Indiana).
- Early morning and evening meetings may be required on occasion and with advance notice.
- Accurately document client interactions and comply with reporting requirements.
- Maintain confidentiality and security of sensitive information.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Key Qualifications and Personal Attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, accounting or related field is required. Master’s Degree is a plus.
- At least ten years of experience with progressively responsible positions in business and/or industry management and supervisory experience.
- Significant, successful small business ownership or management experience can be substituted for academic qualifications.
- Counsel, consult, or advise businesses
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Independently use computer hardware and software
- Demonstrated experience with case and project management skills
- Work effectively with leaders in the private and public sectors at all levels
- Work harmoniously with co-workers, supervisors, and clients from all walks of life
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented, team player able to work independently and with groups
E-REP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer focused on fostering an inclusive workplace and committed to hiring a workforce comprised of diverse backgrounds, cultures and thinking styles.
About the Evansville Regional Economic Partnership:
The Evansville Regional Economic Partnership (E-REP) was formed on April 1, 2021, as a strategic alignment of three existing business organizations serving the Southwestern Indiana area – Southwest Indiana Chamber of Commerce (Chamber), Economic Development Coalition of Southwest Indiana (EDC) and the Growth Alliance for Greater Evansville (GAGE) as well as two separate Foundations—Southwest Indiana Chamber Foundation, Inc. and Quad County Development Commission, Inc. This unique and innovative partnership, which includes a 1,200-member Chamber of Commerce and Southwest Indiana’s two leading economic development organizations, represents a comprehensive approach to support the business community. The primary mission of E-REP is to encourage business attraction and expansion, job creation, and business investment to foster and promote a thriving economy throughout Southwest Indiana. By aligning the three organizations and the two foundations, E-REP provides a more comprehensive set of supports and services and is as the single point of contact for companies looking to locate or expand in Southwest Indiana. In addition, through effective and ongoing advocacy efforts, E-REP represents a powerful voice in promoting policies that foster a more business friendly environment throughout the region. The regional partnership with the Indiana Small Business Development Center continues with E-REP. Guiding Principles for E-REP:
- Operates regionally
- Commitment to equitable prosperity
- Small business is front and center
- Leverage the unique value of both the public and private sectors in delivering success
- Advances regional prosperity and global relevance