The Evansville Regional Economic Partnership (E-REP) is passionate about building a stronger Evansville Region. The Economic Development Specialist serves on the economic development team and proactively engages with companies to create a business environment conducive to growth and expansion. The Economic Development Specialist is a strong communicator in writing and public speaking, enjoys networking while building relationships, prioritizes under deadline pressure and responds to requests from stakeholders.
This position is a collaborator across key functions of E-REP including the membership team and possesses the ability to think creatively and strategically. Duties require the use of tact, strict confidentiality in the handling of sensitive information, excellent customer service, attention to detail and follow-through. This position will require travel throughout the Evansville Region and is able to work independently.
A successful Economic Development Specialist connects the value proposition of both E-REP and the Evansville Region with prospective and existing businesses. The Economic Development Specialist’s everyday actions will exemplify the guiding principles of E-REP. The position operates regionally, commits to equitable prosperity, keeps small business front and center, leverages the unique value of both the public and private sectors in delivering success, and advances regional prosperity and global relevance.
Scope of Work
The role and responsibilities of the position will include but not be limited to the following:
· Execute activities in support of generating new business development leads and the growth of business in the Evansville Region.
· Research, analyze, interpret and prepare studies and reports on a variety of economic and demographic data, including labor market trends and other regional economic planning issues.
· Promote retention and expansion of business and industry within the Evansville Region by developing and maintaining a cooperative working relationship with existing businesses.
· Identify existing business retention and expansion needs, conduct research and connect businesses with available resources to address those needs.
· Maintain and develop contacts with landowners, developers, site consultants, realtors, entrepreneurs, government officials, private industry representatives, chambers of commerce, and economic development related organizations and agencies.
· Promote the creation of job opportunities and private capital investment.
· Assist with processing and reviewing all economic development incentive applications.
· Prepare prospect proposals, provide information to site consultants and coordinate with the local economic development offices.
· Coordinate with the local resource partners on matters such as workforce development, small business initiatives, financing, business expansion and more.
· Support Elected Official Council and Economic Development Professional Council activities.
· Support Tri-State Manufacturing Alliance (TSMA).
· Support Evansville Industrial Foundation.
· Administer Design Review Committee established by the City of Evansville Redevelopment Commission and oversee compliance with the Downtown Evansville development and design guidelines.
· Coordinate with membership team when researching business retention and expansion visits.
· Provide technical assistance to other team members in the administration of grants and the development and implementation of economic and community development projects.
· Maintain a working knowledge of all activities and offerings within E-REP.
· Maintain weekly engagement activity reports and dashboards through use of E-REP’s CRM database (GrowthZone).
· Support E-REP’s strategic goals to meet objectives and increase economic development opportunities.
· Attend evening meetings and weekend events as required.
· Perform other related job duties as assigned.
Key Qualifications and Personal Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in economic development, urban planning, public administration, marketing, finance or a related field with two (2) years’ experience in economic or community development, business assistance, commercial development, and/or business retention programs; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Experience and Skills:
· 2 years of professional experience preferred.
· Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason and poise when dealing with emotional topics.
· Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
· Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
· Sales – Awareness of the consultative selling style to accurately and effectively match the offerings of the organization to the needs of the member organizations.
· Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
· Oral and written communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings. Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
· Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
· Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
· Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment.
· Computer Skills – To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to effectively use multiple databases to manage sales and membership accounts. Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite required. Proficiency of CRM database tools will be required.
E-REP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer focused on fostering an inclusive workplace and committed to hiring a workforce comprised of diverse backgrounds, cultures and thinking styles.
About the Evansville Regional Economic Partnership:
The Evansville Regional Economic Partnership (E-REP) was formed on April 1, 2021 as a result of a strategic alignment of three existing business organizations serving the Southwestern Indiana area – Southwest Indiana Chamber of Commerce (Chamber), Economic Development Coalition of Southwest Indiana (EDC) and the Growth Alliance for Greater Evansville (GAGE) as well as two separate Foundations—Southwest Indiana Chamber Foundation, Inc. and Quad County Development Commission, Inc. This unique and innovative partnership, which includes a 1,500-member Chamber of Commerce and Southwest Indiana’s two leading economic development organizations, represents a comprehensive approach to support the business community. The primary mission of E-REP is to encourage business attraction and expansion, job creation, and business investment to foster and promote a thriving economy throughout Southwest Indiana. By aligning the three organizations and the two foundations, E-REP provides a more comprehensive set of supports and services and is as the single point of contact for companies looking to locate or expand in Southwest Indiana. In addition, through effective and ongoing advocacy efforts, E-REP represents a powerful voice in promoting policies that foster a more business friendly environment throughout the region. The regional partnership with the Indiana Small Business Development Center continues with E-REP. Guiding Principles for E-REP:
· Operates regionally
· Commitment to equitable prosperity
· Small business is front and center
· Leverage the unique value of both the public and private sectors in delivering success
· Advances regional prosperity and global relevance
More information can be found at https://evansvilleregion.com
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Evansville, IN 47708: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Are you an experienced networker and able to create long-lasting relationships?
- Are you able to utilize and interpret data to make informed decisions?
- Does the idea of building a better community and Evansville Region excite you?
Work Location: In person