To celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library and the Centro Latino + Americano have partnered to host a Piñata Contest.
Any elementary, middle, or high school student enrolled in one of the Evansville, Newburgh, Huntingburg, Jasper, Dale, Washington, Henderson, KY, or Sebree, KY schools may participate.
“The Piñata Contest is a great opportunity for local students to learn more about Hispanic culture and traditions,” said EVPL CEO-Director Scott Kinney. “We can’t wait to see the creativity from students competing in this contest.”
Here is what you need to know:
- Piñatas should be registered between Tuesday, September 6, and Friday, September 23, at EVPL Central.
- Read the complete rules available on our website or any EVPL location.
- Piñatas will be hung throughout EVPL Central beginning Saturday, October 1 for library users to enjoy.
- The piñatas will be voted on by library users, online and in-person. The first place prize is a laptop, the second and third place prizes are tablets. There will also be special recognition for the 10 most outstanding piñatas.
- Voting will end at 5:00 pm on Sunday, October 9.
- The award ceremony will take place on Thursday, October 13, at 6:00 pm in the Browning Rooms of EVPL Central.
National Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated annually between September 15 and October 15 in the United States to recognize the achievements and contributions that Hispanic Americans have made to build our country. The Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library has served our community for more than a century. With eight locations throughout Vanderburgh County, immediate access to hundreds of thousands of digital resources, and a dedicated team of library professionals, EVPL strives to create opportunities for you to discover, explore, and connect with your library. For more information, visit evpl.org