On April 26th the Talent 2025 Educational Attainment workstream hosted a work-based learning panel discussion to continue advancing a shared regional education strategy. This event was held at EVSC’s Southern Indiana Career and Technical Center with about 80 business and community leaders in attendance.
The panel was made up of regional employers and work-based learning content experts to answer and uncover best practices around the creation, implementation, and sustainability of these student/employer experiences. Notably the regional employers serving on the panel included:
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana
- Deaconess Health Systems
- Old National Bank
- IBEW Local Union 16
Over the course of the morning a few highlights came from the discussion that are more than noteworthy!
- AmeriQual’s RAMP program is the first completely embedded K-12 work-based learning program in the state, and is a great model to help support the growth of these opportunities in our region
- Less than 15% of all graduating seniors across Indiana have had a work-based learning experience, meaning there is a huge opportunity to grow these student/employer pathways
- Less than 23% of all Hoosier students graduate with a post-secondary credential
- 3/4ths of employers cannot find qualified candidates for open positions
These findings articulate the relevancy of work-based learning and are definitely a strong proposition for employer investment as a talent attraction, retention, and cultivation strategy!
The Educational Attainment workstream of Talent 2025 is committed to providing ongoing support and resource information in regards to work-based learning among other best practices across the educational attainment ecosystem both for K-12 and Post-Secondary. Across our region and state there are resources being deployed to help advance the opportunities of our students, communities, and businesses. If you have questions or would like to learn more this workstream has bi-weekly updates that you can begin receiving, just email Tyler Stock (firstname.lastname@example.org) to connect further.