Each year, Wesselman Woods (WW) celebrates the planet with a community event. In 2022, we are taking the party to Howell Wetlands (HW) on Friday, April 22, and Saturday, April 23, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day. HW is located at 1400 South Tekoppel Avenue in Evansville, Indiana.
This free event will include educational activities, guided hikes, animal encounters, and special community guests including:
- Cooperative Invasive Species Management Areas (CISMA)
- Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library (Friday-only)
- Girl Scouts
- International Crane Foundation
- Purdue Extension
- Seton Harvest
- Sixth and Zero (Friday-only)
- Southwestern Indiana Master Gardner Association (SWIMGA)
- Urban Seeds
- Local photographer and arthropod enthusiast Kevin Weiner
- Storyteller, Susan Fowler (Friday-only)
Local food trucks will also be in attendance, including:
- Chino Taco
- Kona Ice (Friday-only)
- Travelin’ Tom’s Coffee (Friday-only)
HW is the largest urban wetlands in Indiana, one of only five urban wetlands parks in the State. HW features 35 acres of marshland, bald cypress slough, oxbow lake, lowland hardwood forest, and upland meadow. This wide variety of habitats makes HW an excellent location for a variety of wildlife. You’re invited to explore over 2 miles of hiking trails, wooden walkways, and bridges with us during Earth Day.
If you have any questions about the event, please contact our Director of Environmental Education, Kailene Goldsberry, at 812-479-0771 or via email, firstname.lastname@example.org.